And winter came

And just like enyas song 'And winter came'...well. It came. And winter came back more like. This past week Madrid has gone back to freezing cold winterish weather, although it has warmed up a little again, but not like it was the other weekend. I even got to see the slightest bit of snow falling from the sky while teaching last week.

So anyway, going back to 2 weekends ago after I went on the daytrip...

On the Saturday I was going to have a day in and just relax, but I got a text from one of my auxiliar friends Arvid who asked if I wanted to go to the Retiro Park. I hadn't been yet, so I thought it would be the perfect oppertunity, especially since the weather was just as beautiful as the previous day. About 20 degrees! I even wore a t-shirt!

I met Arvid at Ibiza metro stop, and we went to the supermarket to get some picnic things: strawberries, cheese, bread, some drinks and even some carrots and Arvid likes to eat raw carrots.

We walked over to the park and sat on the steps by the water. It seemed like EVERYONE was out that day! People were sitting on the grass, or by the water just enjoying each others company, eating and drinking. Arvid and I sat around for an hour of two just chilling and enjoying the sun. It was so nice! Then we decided to go for a walk. We walked to the crystal palace and we also went to a photo exhibition being held in the park.

Parque del Retiro. We sat by the monument in the distance.
STRANGE "ART" in the crystal palace.
We then decided to migrate somewhere else. We sat on the steps to the gardens of the park and just sat and watched people go by. We got asked by two guys to take a photo and ended up talking to them. After they left we thought we would go and get something to drink/eat. We walked to La Puerta del Sol and ended up finding the ONLY cupcake store in Madrid. They had so many delicious cupcakes, although I think that the ones back in Melbounre are much better. But they were still great! We walked down the street after eating and ran into the same guys from the park. Random!

We made our way back to Sol and did a spot of shopping. I shop way more here in Madrid than I do back home because the clothes here are actually GOOD, and there are way more stores. Win! It was a really lovely day!

******

On Monday I met up with Nick at the Mercado de San Miguel. It is one of my most FAVOURITE places here in Madrid! Its an indoor market where many madrileños go to unwind with friends to eat some delicious food and drink some wine. Nick and I drank some wine, bought a cheese platter and also some lovely nibbly bits. Afterwards we went to see the Teatro Real and then to San Gines for a good dose of churros con chocolate. It was so nice to see a familiar face from home! Some days I do get a little down even though I'm loving it here, but just seeing someone I know brightens me up!


******

On Saturday I met my friend Marta who showed me some music related things in Madrid. We went to the Teatro Real and picked up some info on operas and other musical things that are going on for the next few months. Hopefully I'll be able to see something soon! Then she showed me some music shops that I'm going to visit probably at the end of the week and also some places I can buy some CD's. There is such a big variety of classical CD's here in Madrid. MUCH better than back home. Then we went to see this music library. When we got there the whole building seemed to be under construction, so we didnt know if we were in the right place. After asking a few questions we worked out we were in the right place, but I will have to go back another day when it's open. Afterwards we went to a cafe to have a refresco. Then on Sunday I met up with Marta again in Sol to eat some tapas. We firstly went to a place that was famous for croquetas (EPIC YUM) and also this delicious fried fish. It was soooo goooood! Then we went to another bar where they had tapas from andalucia. We had some spanish tortilla (YUM AGAIN). Here in Spain if you buy a drink, many places will give you free tapas. its AMAZING. So a drink would be around 2 Euros and you get a small plate of food for free. Its the BEST!

We then met one of Marta's friends Stephanie in Sol. Then we met one of Stephanie's friends in Gran Via. We made our way to Chueca and went to El Tigre which is an awesome tapas/bar place. Buy drinks and get food free. awesome. I got myself an epic mug of tinto de verano (Red wine with soft drink. I think it was lemon fanta. WHAT THE HELL you might think. Try it and then tell me what you think. I'm addicted. Plus its cheaper than Sangria. We all chatted and ate food and drank. Then we went to a place that made fresh smoothies. Kind of like Boost back home I guess, but the drinks were MUCH BETTER and cheaper. At around 6 we all parted ways, and I went to the bookstore. I found the book I had been looking for. Its and Australian book, but I got it for 11 Euros here rather than $25-$30 back home. Bargain. I think so. Fail Australia. Epic Fail...

******

In other news I'm starting singing lessons on Friday afternoon! Very exciting! It's going to be interesting because I know the teacher doesn't speak alot of English and my Spanish is awful. But I suppose that music is a universal language, so we will be able to understand things and hopefully breakthrough the language barrier! I will keep you all updated!

Also I'm going to Ibiza next month with some of my awesome friends! Its gonna be EPIC!

So that's all for now! I will try not to leave posts so long.

Un besito! x

0 comments:

 
Una Soprano en España © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Buy Dofollow Links! =) , Lastminutes and Ambien Side Effects